CEDR (Clatsop Economic Development Resources) is the only organization in Clatsop County whose sole focus is to create, grow and retain businesses. We have launched our 2020 membership campaign, and are reaching out to new and existing members to join and renew membership in our CEDR organization.
CEDR serves the need for a dedicated economic development services organization, and provides a central point of contact for coordinated efforts across communities, countywide.
We would like to publicly thank the private sector members, both businesses and individuals, who invested in the CEDR organization last year. (Note the listing of businesses and individuals in the CEDR ad this month.) The investment in the CEDR organization has allowed us to expand services we can provide to the business community, many at no cost.
We would also like to thank our public-sector funding partners: Clatsop County, the cities of Astoria, Cannon Beach, Gearhart, Seaside and Warrenton, the Port of Astoria, Sunset Empire Transportation District, and last but certainly not least our employer Clatsop Community College.
CEDR provides more resources and service to local businesses than any one community in Clatsop County could provide alone.
Recap of CCC SBDC recent accomplishments. (Validated results through the Clatsop Community College Small Business Development Center — full year 2018 and year to date in 2019.
• CCC SBDC met with 461 clients in free and confidential advising sessions, totaling 2,060 hours.
• CCC SBDC contributed to 16 new business starts.
• CCC SBDC assisted in securing over $2,287,400 in financing for local businesses.
• The Clatsop Community College SBDC Small Business Management Program has 27 business owners and managers enrolled in this flagship program over the past two years, which has been part of Clatsop Community College since the 1980s.
• CCC SBDC presented 80 educational workshops serving 710 people.
The Clatsop Community College Small Business Development Center is part of the statewide OSBDCN (Oregon Small Business Development Center Network), one of 19 Centers in the state of Oregon that are affiliated with every community college in the state, as well as two universities. We are also a member of the national organization, “America’s SBDC.”
The core mission of the SBDC is free and confidential one-on-one business advising, training and information resources for new and existing businesses.
CEDR highlights for 2019
CEDR spearheaded the Clatsop County 2019 Job and Career Fair which was held in March with over 700 students participating from all five Clatsop County high schools as well as Ilwaco and Naselle High Schools, over 80 employers, and was expanded to include adult job seekers in the afternoon.
Save the date for the Sixth Annual Clatsop County 2020 Job and Career Fair which will be held in Seaside at the Seaside Civic & Convention Center on Thursday, March 12.
The CEDR Clatsop WORKS Summer Paid Internship Program completed the second year of the program with 13 Clatsop County Businesses hosting 22 interns. Applications for both employers and students are now open for the summer 2020 program, and can be accessed at clatsopworks.com.
CEDR continues to keep a laser focus on the housing shortage in Clatsop County. The CEDR Board meeting in September was totally devoted to reviewing the recommendations and action plans from the Housing Study recently completed for each city and Clatsop County, and ensuring the voice of the business community is heard in the decision-making process for each City Council and City and County Commissions.
CEDR is involved in these committees and organizations representing the Business Community:
- Astoria Downtown Historic District Association
- AHS & CCC Business Advisory Committee
- All three of the Chambers of Commerce: Astoria-Warrenton, Cannon Beach & Seaside.
- CCC Strategic Plan Committee
- CCC Cabinet
- City/County Managers Monthly Meetings
- Clatsop Forestry Economic Development Committee
- Clatsop County Childcare Task Force
- Col-Pac Economic Development District
- Enterprise Zone manager for Clatsop County
- Fisheries Committee
- Northwest Regional STEM Partnership
- NW Oregon Governors Regional Solutions Advisory Committee
- OSU “Extension Citizen Advisory Network” ECAN; Kevin Leahy is chair for the State of Oregon
- Seaside Downtown Development Association
- Travel Oregon “North Coast Tourism Studio” steering committee
For more information, send an email to email@example.com , kleahy @clatsopcc.edu, or call CEDR/CCC SBDC Executive Director Kevin Leahy, at 503-338-2342.
We appreciate all who have contributed in the past, and look forward to new supporters to help us continue to “Deliver business-driven economic development services to create, grow and retain Clatsop County Businesses."